Girls With Hairy Legs and Hairy Armpits

In a recent New York Times fashion & style article titled Unshaven Women: Free Spirits or Unkempt?, the author Catherine Saint Louis points out an emerging trend in girls with hairy legs and hairy armpits. This particular trend is brought to light by none other than our own beloved celebrities.

The most recent celebrity to bring the hairy leg concept to the masses is Mo’Nique who showed up to the red carpet with a thick field of hair enveloping her two legs. Of course, we have seen other celebrities sport similar looks in the public realm, whether it be the refusal to shave their armpits, legs or in Madonna’s case, her bush.

Of course this isn’t anything new, in fact, girls didn’t start shaving their legs and armpits until around 1915.

In the West, the practice began around 1915 in the US and UK, when one or more magazines showed a woman in a dress with shaved underarms. Regular shaving became feasible with the introduction of the safety razor at the beginning of the 20th century. While underarm shaving was quickly adopted in English speaking countries, especially in the US and Canada, it did not become widespread on the Continent of Europe until well after World War II.

Source: Wikipedia

Living in an artsy section Boston, I myself have seen my share of short skirts and hairy legs. I was even surprised one night while hooking up on my couch, when upon removing a girls top, two small tufts of hair popped out from under her arms. Not that it mattered much, especially since her tits were staring me right in the face. Still, I’d prefer smooth if given the choice.

Now I’m not necessarily complaining here. If a chick wants to go the au natural route then that’s fine by me, but it’s not going to make me more attracted to her, probably less so. Regardless, what I’m trying to get at is something that is part of a bigger trend, the reversal of the genders.

Gender Reversal

In a recent post by Roissy, Attack of the Manjaws, he outlines the growing masculinity of our females, with one such trait being a more pronounced masculine jaw line.

On my occasional forays into the ghetto, I recurrently note just how beastly the local girls look. Huge jaws and brows that could sprout Wolverine claws when roused to anger. Maybe this is the end result of a mating market where generations of women have spread for the most violent, thuggish men in the hood. If so, is there a trickle up effect to the rest of society?

At the same time, men are becoming more feminine. With the trend of metrosexuals and more focus on male fashion, the guys are taking on more and more feminine traits. We focus more on grooming with things like hair trimming and removal, moisturizing, wearing tighter fitting clothes.

Whatever happened to the grizzly type man who all he needed was a pair Levis, a flannel shirt and a face full of stubble? Well, here’s the thing, those guys still exist and so do feminine women. I doubt that gender roles will completely reverse but I do think that a new gender paradigm will be created.

My prediction is an eventual split of the two genders in which four sub-genders will emerge, moving the human species into increasingly divergent mating patterns:

• masculine males
  • feminine males
  • masuline females
  • feminine females

Of course this is pretty wild speculation on my part.

Anyways, what do you guys think about this whole girls with hairy legs and hairy armpits thing?

Stealth April 14, 2010 at 6:03 am

Not a big fan of hairy legs.

I myself am a pretty hairy guy. Some girls don’t like that I have hair on my back and some don’t mind it. I tend to have it nair’ed every once in a while.. ..actually, my buddy Psych has got it on video me getting waxed…. ouch!!! lol

but I think chick with pubic hair is fine, but she better be taking care of herself in other places like her legs just like I’ve got to take care of myself. And it’s considered unclean in western culture if you don’t keep yourself shaven for the most part.

Richard | RichardShelmerdine.com April 14, 2010 at 6:12 am

I’m personally not a fan of women with body hair but you can see how some men would find it ‘natural’. It’s just a big turn off for me. Facial hair on a woman is the biggest turn off in existence.

Matt Savage April 14, 2010 at 12:32 pm

@Richard,
Yea, I think we can all agree that facial hair on women is definitely one of the biggest turn-offs in the world… ewww…

Vincent Ignatius April 16, 2010 at 10:16 am

The FOB Chinese girl I’m dating doesn’t shave her legs or armpits. She doesn’t have much leg hair anyway so it’s hard to tell unless you look close. If I decide to continue with her, I’ll make her shave her underarms, but I already have the flag so I may not continue.

Casual April 18, 2010 at 5:51 am

I don’t mind arm/leg hair on a woman, as long as it’s not too thick/noticeable. I know with some blonde girls, their hair is so light and thin that it’s barely noticeable at all. Arm pit hair is a lot less attractive, but not a complete turnoff, as long as they’re hygienic about it.

Breeze April 18, 2010 at 8:04 am

Hairy girls are disgusting. I see a few hippies on campus sporting the gorilla look and I want to throw up.

anoukange April 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Yuck. Girls should be as hairless as possible in my opinion.

David Black April 21, 2010 at 5:17 am

If a girl is light, and only has those really fine, almost invisible hairs going on (on the legs), that is cool with me.

Hairy armpits however, are a serious no-no.

And a big hairy bush. Nothing worse than gagging or wiry pubes, blech!

Hammer April 21, 2010 at 8:57 am

That shit is a straight boner killer. 100% deal breaker for me. I would jump out of bed with a girl just for some minor stubble under the arms, let alone fully unkempt. Anyone putting up with that shit is straight settling.

dadshouse April 22, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I like women who shave and keep things groomed. All over.

jodiemiller April 23, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I put it to you that you’ve all been conditioned to find hairless women attractive and that, if fashions in women’s body hair had never changed early last century, none of you would be turned off by leg and pitt hair at all.

Personally, I feel sexier with natural hair under my arms. I’m all for grooming, but I think the hairless look (Brazilian waxing is surely a crime against nature) is a barrier to primal passion.

I figure you guys are all really young and highly influenced by the media’s representation of women. (Remembering the ‘fat chick’ post of a few weeks ago.) I think there is a great deal of sensuality you are missing out on by requiring your women and your sexuality to fit inside a tidy box. Pun intended.

MK April 24, 2010 at 1:55 pm

A girl sporting some hair on her body is anything BUT masculine. If a girl is at her most natural, then naturally, that is her being her most female/girly self.

I think a lot of dudes are pussies, and if we were all stranded on an island full of “unkempt” women, I’d be the one still able to get a boner and go at it. I find it strange whenever I here any man say he wouldn’t do a girl because she doesn’t shave her pits. It’s hair. Not a fuking disease.

Mad Jack April 24, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Hairy legs are a huge deal breaker for me. As for the hairy armpits, it depends on how much and what else is around to distract me. I’m easily distracted. A nice, full bush is a turn on. One woman I used to know had a full bush and a very thin line of hair running up to her navel, which I found very erotic. At the same time, shaved is great as well.

Mad Jack April 24, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I forgot to mention Mo’Nique. Specifically, Mo’Nique is so completely unattractive that the hairy legs just add one or two points to the repulsion rating, driving Mo’Nique from a solid nine into a ten or eleven and possibly straight into a twelve.

Natasha May April 26, 2010 at 6:22 am

@anoukange

Well apart from on there head of course. Unless that’s your thing :-).

JRSun76 April 27, 2010 at 6:02 am

Actually, that idea of divergent mating patterns is not too far fetched. Happens in other organisms. Add runaway selection (a gene for preference of a trait of the opposite sex, accompanies the gene for that actual trait, ex. – mom gives preference gene/dad gives observable phenotypic trait gene, they are inherited together and the daughter is likely to have a preference like her mother).

Whatever, I dont mind as long as they arent too feminist to be a lady.

Curiepoint July 18, 2010 at 1:29 am

In my nearly five decade on the planet, it is my observation that when someone says that they are a “free spirit”, what they mean is the following:

1). I have no conscience, and can flout what most people call decent behavior, and if someone gets hurt my my actions, I will make it all their fault. Nothing sticks to me.

2). I hate and despise others defining what is attractive and desirable; so much so that I make a point of doing the exact opposite. If very few pay amorous attention to me, it’s because they are shallow.

3). I have an enormous chip on my shoulder, and it has taken permanent and debilitating root.

Personally, I think it is anyone’s perfect right to do whatever they please, just as it is anyone’s perfect right to eschew what they do not find attractive. I don’t need to be told that I’m missing out a hell of a lot by not being with someone hairy. I don’t think I’m missing out on anything.

FeministWanker August 5, 2010 at 6:43 am

Honestly? I think you guys like to talk big. “It’s a deal breaker” “It makes me want to vomit”; Grow up. Women have hair. They might choose to remove it, they might not. No one woman is going to be hairless all the time for the rest of her life. To think or expect otherwise is straight up childish.

Donuan August 11, 2010 at 1:43 pm

You people make me sick. There is NOTHING wrong with body hair!!!!!! It’s just hair!!! I think women who don’t shave at all are incredibly sexy. How is it possible to be gross? What is gross is wanting a WOMAN to look like a 10 year old girl!!!!!!!!!!!! You are all perverts!!!! Anyone who wants hairless man or woman is a complete PERVERT! That is a pre-puberty thing only.

burt Teague September 8, 2010 at 6:41 pm

hair is cool and shows a woman ability to stand against society b.s. instead of sucking wind enough said!!!!!

Mike December 3, 2010 at 8:30 pm

The gender reversal you’re talking about is a real thing, but it has nothing to do with the growing trend of unshaven women. If you think that hair under the arms, on the crotch, on the lower arms and lower legs are masculine, I suggest reading up on anatomy. What is happening with the refusal to shave is a reversal of the false notion that pedophila is feminine. Women like Natalie Portman are seen as attractive, and petite body structures are being championed. This goes against thousands of years of human history.

da man December 12, 2010 at 4:59 am

I FREAKING LOVE HAIRY GAIRLS ! I go looking for them all over …hairy arms ,legs, ass,chest armpits, toes, big bush….Yummy ! God i wish women never shaved! Just the sight of them gives me a hard on!!

janelle January 14, 2011 at 9:15 am

Meh. I guess the guys I’ve hooked up with are better than the guys on here. I don’t have armpit hair and I’m trimmed and bikini waxed in the nether regions but my legs are hairy, because of my skin for some reason shaving is a fucking nightmare. Even at their hairiest my legs are nowhere near as hairy as a man, nor as coarse. No guy has batted an eyelid about it, and I’ve never had an experience with a guy who had, uh, issues with getting it on, so they must have been attracted to me. I asked three of the guys what they thought about it, responses were:
Guy #1: “Oh really? I didn’t notice.” (He didn’t notice, he was distracted by breasts and a vagina and a bit of soft fuzziness didn’t enter his radar.)
Guy #2: “Haha, they’re not that hairy.”
Guy #3: “You could shave them if you really wanted but it’s not that important.”
So there you have it.

Kristina March 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I think that it’s impractical to talk about liking or not liking body hair on women. I believe it’s a matter of presenting that body hair (or absence of it) so that it gradually makes up your preference. There are sweet and beutiful professionally made and edited photographs of beutiful girls in beautiful clothes (or without) in the media, and USUALLY SHAWED. No wonder that one gets used to this nice combonation of body characteristics; smooth and eye-pleasing.

There just have not been enough such representations of hairy women. A bit of professionalism applied there and exposed to the media and voila, I’m sure there’ll be more and more hairy-women-appreciating men out there

Surely enough, showing hair on women in a new light could be done on individual level. Meet a girl whom you feel attracted to naturally both personality- and appearance-wise (excluding the idea of hair altogether) and there must be some change of view of her bodyhair.

I’ve been personally having some confidence issues since my hair is dark and noticeable. So I’ve been reading all these forums where men describe how attractive they find hairy women. But I figured it’s hard to find a comment that would portray specific preferences, such as hairy legs, but trimmed bush and pits. Now what about that? Most men either like hair everywhere or don’t like bodyhair at all (except for those who like only a full bush). So I came to this conclusion that you’ve got to just make the choice for yourself and enjoy life. With such an attitude there surely will be men who’d change their mind about body-hair.

Ghost September 23, 2011 at 4:32 am

I love natural and real. A world where women are ashamed of being the way they are is sick.
BTW Donuan hit the spot when he said “What is gross is wanting a WOMAN to look like a 10 year old girl”
My respect to all sexy women out there who keep it real.

Chris November 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I won’t attempt to tutor the ignorant or open the closed mind. What I will do is state the facts.
Shaving off your body hair has nothing to do with cleanliness, washing and trimming for any useful purpose does.
What shaving off your body hair does do for both males or females, is present one as a much younger version of who you really are in hopes of fooling a potential mate into accepting said deceptive state. For most people, this includes continuing the deception after finding the mate in order to keep them from straying.
I for one, do not find female body hair disgusting and what I do find disgusting is that the level of people trying to deceive one another has reached epidemic proportions with social pressure causing clinically definable instances of psychotic hair pulling.
If looking like a 10 year old male or female in order to attract a mate is your thing I don’t think anything I can say will stop you. Go right ahead, it is one less potential mate with pedophilic tendency honest people will have to weed through. You can even keep it up once you found them but even a peacock has enough sense to close its tail feathers once it has found a mate. It is disrespectful to a mate to preen to the point that you look like you are still looking for a better deal if you are really confident in your choices and yourself in general but, in a world where most people really are constantly on the prowl, wether or not they have a mate, I see the need for the constant illusion of some kind of perverted youth.
If you want to be dillusional and deceitful in your attempts to present yourself as a decent person by shaving off all of your hair go right ahead. That is your right to do so. Maybe the kind of person you attract will actually love you for who you really aren’t. Lovely, right?

David July 3, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I admire ladies with unshaved underams with a natural growth of bush. Its a big turn on for me due to living in Germany for two years. I wish I could meet such women with no hang ups here in Phoenix, Az. If there are any takers, women that is, please e-mail me.

drago March 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I myself like girls who are all natural so,pits and pubes and legs or every where hairy

danny May 30, 2013 at 11:58 am

I like women who are not into body hair. Removal. Shaved legs are gross and sick looking!

Andy November 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm