The Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich

It’s midnight.  I’m tired.  I’m hungry.

My stomach is growling. I can’t get to sleep.  Sigh…

I walk to the kitchen and open the refrigerator.  I stand there and stare for what feels like hours.  It’s a disparaging sight.

The top shelf consists of several condiments: ketchup, dijon mustard, a jar of dill pickles, mayonnaise and peanut butter .  The bottom shelf contains a water pitcher, several slices of bread and a half bottle of Italian dressing, which appears to be solidifying before my eyes.

The cupboards are bare.  The nearest pizza joint is closed.  Not a lot options.  What do I do?

My hand reaches for the bread and the jar of peanut butter.  A peanut butter sandwich is the only logical solution in these dire times.  Though, some jelly would be nice… sigh…

To be honest, I’m not even sure the addition of jelly could satisfy my taste buds now.  I’ve eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwiches my whole life.  They used to be great when I was kid.  They were so fun and exciting.  PBJ sandwiches we’d call ‘em, but now… meh… they’re alright, but not quite as fun anymore.

Sometimes we get used to things.  We get comfortable with what we’ve been doing our entire lives.  We live in a comfort zone in which all activities that occur are a passing thought.

These particular activities aren’t relegated to simple late night snacks either.  No, this zone exists in our everyday lives.  We go about, doing what we we’ve always done and getting what we’ve always got.  Yet, we all dream of better lives.

Sometimes, it’s necessary to break free from the daily trudge. Perhaps that means doing something you never imagined doing before. Perhaps it means taking up a new hobby, traveling to some exotic new place or even approaching a stunningly beautiful woman.

Sometimes, we need to get a rush of life, we need to feel inspired, we need to be excited again.  Sometimes we need to brush aside those doubts in our heads.  Sometimes we just need to pull the trigger.

The refrigerator door is still open.  The electricity bill is soaring.  I reach down and grab the jar of pickles.

It’s now 1:30 in the morning.  I am no longer tired.  I am no longer hungry.

I feel inspired to write about this.

I just ate a peanut butter and pickle sandwich…

…and it was delicious :)

Avalon November 25, 2008 at 2:49 am

PB is my weakness. 200 calories in a tablespoon. It’s not allowed in the house when I’m in a leaning out phase (which is right now) and on a 1400 cal/day diet. Add two slices of bread and there’s half a day’s meals.

My favorite is 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 teaspoon of PB (50 calories) and a scoop of Apex Chocolate protein powder. I have it for breakfast everyday..well, except for when PB is under a temporary House-Ban….like now.
;)

Matt Savage November 25, 2008 at 10:09 am

Avalon,
I’ll have to try the oatmeal thing next time, sounds good.

As for leaning out, may I recommend the Teddie brand peanut butter. It’s all natural, the only ingredients are roasted peanuts and salt. There are 80 calories per tablespoon and they are full of nutrients, unlike traditional brands like Jiffy or Peter Pan which contain tons of added sugar (empty calories). The switch to natural peanut butter was quite a change at first but it didn’t take to long to prefer it over the other brands.

Mack Tight November 25, 2008 at 11:26 am

So the point was that you exited your “comfort zone” by eating a peanut butter and pickle sandwich?!?

I think the real point is that you need to go grocery shopping Matt :)

Matt Savage November 25, 2008 at 11:32 am

Mack Tight,
Haha, you’re right, this post was a bit of a stretch in the philosophizing department. I think you’ve addressed the real problem, laziness … :)

Infinity November 25, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Nice job on the creativity, Matt. Of course you’re gonna get out of your comfort zone when you can’t even find it. :)

Was it really that good? Or were you just that hungry?

The Saint November 26, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Matt,

Try this next time you’re in NYC

Avalon November 30, 2008 at 4:48 am

80 calories if you pour off the oil?
I get the natural stuff at Whole Foods, ya know where you put the peanuts in, turn the crank, and voila! The label still says 180 cals per 2 tbsp

Germanico December 4, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I once bought a jar of “no sugar added” PB that is marketed for diabetics, and its actually really good. Tastes just like peanuts. Ever since I switched myself over to healthy foods, Ive discovered that I actually have little tolerance for sweets. The only sweet things that taste good to me now are fruits and honey.

I have in my fridge a jar of homemade pickles. I made them in 2006, which was two apartments ago. Ive never tasted them.

Troy Martin December 17, 2008 at 9:46 pm

I got into the PB & Pickle sandwiches five or six years ago, they’re a great snack on the go! Tip: use sour-ish pickles. They’re real good with PB!

wishcraft December 23, 2008 at 2:49 am

I like your writing style.

Alex June 24, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I agree. Sometimes you have to go out from your comfort zone to feel what other life has to offer.

Doris March 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I eat a peanut butter & pickle on toast before bed, and sleep like a log… (better than a sleeping pill)
and I am wondering why?

Jen July 10, 2010 at 5:59 pm

My roommate practically lives off of peanutbutter and bacon sandwiches. She says they’re great but I think I’ll stick with peanutbutter and honey.