Are Long Hair Styles for Men Attractive?

Zach Effron Long Hair StyleThere is an old Rastafarian mantra that goes like this: “A man without hair is like a tree without leaves.”

Just to be clear, I’m not a Rastafarian nor do I plan on growing dreadlocks, but I have been playing around with growing a long hair style and this particular quote seemed appropriate.

Ever since the first hairs on my head existed I have had the same style hair. It’s always been high and tight, number 2 clippers, scissors on the top, and parted to one side. The only exception was during my first season of collegiate cross country when it was shaved during an initiation/hazing ritual.

It has been six months since my last hair cut. I’m now in that awkward stage between short hair and long hair. Some might call it medium length, but I call it a pain in the ass. Sometimes it does what I want and looks good, other times it cannot be tamed.

The problem I’m facing, is how to style it. I thought I could pull off the Zach Effron look (above) but, as my hair continues to grow, I’m realizing that it slightly curls as it increases in length. Thus my strategy needs to suite that type of hair.

mens long hair styleAfter an exhaustive image search I believe I’ve found the direction that’s best suited for me . Perhaps something like this, except imagine it with dark brown hair (see picture on right).

I’m still in the experimental phases of this, but I’m enjoying the new look so far. I’m not sure that it’s making a huge difference in the seduction front, but I’ve noticed that I’m attracting different types of girls. I seem to be talking to and attracting more artsy, hipster, rocker, punk, tattoo type of women… which I like;)

Neil Strauss HairstyleLong hair seems to be the direction that a lot of men in the seduction community eventually take, assuming they are not going bald, in that case they opt for the Neil Strauss shaved head with goatee look (on right).

There seems to be something seductive about long hair styles on men. Perhaps it is a peacocking thing or a sign of an alpha male, like a lion with a long mane. Male musicians and actors, sex symbols of the modern era, are often seen with longer hairstyles. Even Casanova was well known for his long seductive hair.

I have heard mixed messages from the ladies on this topic. There definitely seems to be a preferred preference depending on the woman, but like I said earlier, different types of women seem to be attracted to men with long hair. Although, I suppose for your hairstyle to be truly attractive, it has to be congruent with your overall style and personality.

So what’s your opinion? Short hair or long hair? What style? And does it even matter? Comments are welcome from all, but I’m particularly curious to what my female readers think.

Mack Tight June 6, 2008 at 10:09 am

I went through the same thing a couple years ago. A lot of the college kids had shaggy hair. Most girls I date are in their early to late 20′s. I asked a hair dresser her opinion and she said it would be better for me to keep it short. It is easy to maintain and also looks professional for my professional job. Each woman likes different hair styles and I don’t think you can generalize. So you can’t please them all, you have to wear the style that most pleases YOU!

The Don Lachlan June 8, 2008 at 2:37 am

Chicks dig hair. REALLY dig it. Trust me, I’ve had long hair for twenty years and chicks play with it (without ever saying hello), compliment me on how it smells, and so on. I think most of the chicks you want to attract (if not all in general) will prefer long hair over short. I don’t think it’s a fetish/deal-breaker for most but I think the preference is great for initial attraction.

Roosh June 9, 2008 at 3:16 am

“I’ve noticed that I’m attracting different types of girls. I seem to be talking to and attracting more artsy, hipster, rocker, punk, tattoo type of women”

Yes the girls who banged you with short hair would probably not with shoulder length hair. You won’t notice an increase in quantity, but the quality will change to more free spirited chicks like you’re noticing.

The middle phase is the worst but just stick with it. Experiment with various headbands if you can’t take it anymore (see a soccer game for examples).

My hair is getting ridiculously long but i only wash it once a week and put it back with one of those claw clips, which usually gets an excited reaction from girls. “You’re the first guy i met that has worn one of those” etc.

Tyler Moss June 9, 2008 at 9:55 am

I’m more of a short hair guy because long hair looks bad on me.

Some women seem to love long hair, some hate it, and some love bald guys. I think you just have to work with whatever suits your own personal style.

Nathan June 9, 2008 at 10:03 am

Hey Matt!

From my expereince women in general are attracted towards guys with long hair.

I not exactly sure why this is, but maybe it has to do with the fact that women have long hair and so they feel more drawn and able to connect with someone who also has long hair.

Also maybe it is just that link with the social conditioned bad boy imagine: shaggy, dirty, surfer boy with long unkept hair who drives girls crazy.

I don’t really style my long hair much, just let it do what it does and not really care about it.

KassyK June 9, 2008 at 11:30 am

Depends what you mean by “long”…The second picture is perfect…a shaggy long do is hot….buuuuut:

Past the mid neck for me is too long on a guy. Then it starts being like someone’s weird dad from ’68 and its not sexy anymore.

So keep it long but also keep is shaggy and not TOO long.

Also, on a side note…a shaved head on a good looking man is probably the best hair style.

See Dave Beckham for examples. He is hot with hair but HOTTEST with a shaved head. Not a buzz cut but a shaved head.

Hmmm mmmm.

KassyK June 9, 2008 at 12:52 pm

PS–When I say shaved head…I also mean not a balding shaved head(even though I don’t mind balding)..but in terms of what I am describing…I don’t mean a chrome dome like Neil…I mean a full head of hair…shaved.

That is super hot.

Ashveendae June 10, 2008 at 1:00 am

Long hair on guys are hot but not too long. Up to the neck or shorter would be cool plus some highlights that would compliment your face and skin color.

Anon June 10, 2008 at 1:30 am

I’ve been a short to medium-short haired guy most of my life, and I’ve had two attempts at longer hair. The only way through the awkward medium-length is to let your barber (or, ahem, stylist) know that you want to grow it out, and they can usually trim/shape it so it grows more gracefully. My hair is like yours in the sense that it started to curl as it got longer. You know the solution? A straightening iron.

Yes, I lived with that nonsense for about 3 months, along with a blow dryer. It only added another 4-5 minutes to my morning routine, but my hair was frustratingly unmanageable otherwise.

After suffering through another stylist cutting it so it grew out badly, I’m finally back to nice, short, summer hair, but slightly longer and textured on the top. I will revisit the long-hair experiment come the end of summer/beginning of fall.

HASSAN AHMED June 10, 2008 at 1:40 pm

iv got long hair nw and im new on doin it in my opinion it looks very nyc and the gals in ma college always compliment it which is nyc ! they love it soo much ! when i done it first day in my college i was abit nervous until people came up with compliments.so long hair does look very nice but u cant have it too long as some poeple are suggesting it cant go over halph way of the neck that doesent look good in ma opinion has to be shorter ! i do reccomend this style but its your choice . also ma hair use to go curly as longer it went but i use a srightener which makes it go stright

Mmhmm June 11, 2008 at 8:47 am

Long, long hair is gorgeous.

crave June 11, 2008 at 9:03 am

i’ve had both and get more interest from my short hair then i ever did from my longer hair. it must be because my head is so well shaped it shouldn’t be covered up!

Matt Savage June 16, 2008 at 9:57 am

Wow, a lot of great comments here. It seems that long hair is the way to go. I’m convinced to keep at it. Although, I’d still love to get some more female opinions on the topic. Common’ gals, I know you’re out there:)

Tim June 17, 2008 at 1:37 am

I had long hai till this morning…. halfway down my back, naturally blonde, got comments all the time….. got sick of it though, so shaved it! so much easier to take care of and way less annoying! I don’t care what the ladies think as my wife loves me no matter what my hair looks like.

Hot Alpha Female June 20, 2008 at 9:18 pm

You know i really think that the most important thing, is how YOU feel about your hair.

N not to sound all “Dr Phil” or anything – but if you feel sexier and more manly in shorter hair or longer hair than go with that.

With that said – I will give you a girl’s opinion on what we think about guys hair.

Short trimmed hair – that is styled like spiky or whatever shows that you like a manly man kind of guy. You take care of your hair, but your not really too fussed.

Longer more stylized hair – shows that you know more about fashion and in trends than you do than the normal guy. Getting the right long hair cut and all this stuff … is actually quite hard. So the girl will def know that ur trendy and maybe a little more retro.

So the final question is … which one do u think screams more you? And what image are you trying to get out there =)

Hot Alpha Female

Brian June 21, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Ive had both… frequently. I get bored and cut it off, or vice versa. Right now im growing it again.

You cant generalise and say all women prefer longer hair, thats crap. Working in a job I had a few years ago I started with long hair and cut it short after a few months, and this girl I worked with suddenly showed an interest in me.
Last time I grew my hair out I met a girl I hadnt spoken to in years, and she wouldnt shut up about how much she preffered it. Its down to the girl, and definately cant be stereotyped into the arty hippy type as the opposite applied to both, the hippy gal preffered it short, the straight laced gal preffered it long.

Oh, and just to add, I hate the in between phase too, but try to remember you had bad hair days when you had short hair too, its just easier to think “i’ll cut it all off” as a way of fixing the in between bad hair days. Also my girlfriend of 7 years hates me with long hair… she’s now seen it 3 times, so just do it for yourself!

Patrick Bateman June 26, 2008 at 10:01 am

I keep my head shaved (the way KassyK likes) because it suits my masculine features better. It’s also easy to take care of. Men with softer feminine features probably do better with long hair. I do notice that girls are more into long hair and women into short hair, but these are only trends and not rules. I’m flirting with the idea of growing ALL of my hair out this winter. I know I’ll probably get less women but I want to look like a lumberjack at least once in my life.

Marshall Wolf June 26, 2008 at 9:51 pm

I’ve had long hair for 4 years. In between there has been many bad hair cuts and re-growing. For that awkward mid faze i just use a head band and like some other guy already said if you dont know what im talking about just check out a soccer game. For the amount of chicks you get it really depends on where you live. In Virginia you just wont get the amount of chicks as you would in Florida

nancy June 28, 2008 at 8:53 pm

I love long hair. If it was good enough for Jesus, its good enough for you.

Kid June 30, 2008 at 2:33 pm

My 45 year old boyfriend has “medium” length, fine and slightly wavey hair…oh and it is light light blonde bordering on grey…
he does nothing with it except use Head n shoulders shampoo and dries it naturally. When he moves around and it hangs down… he looks like a wild big old polish woman … I use the term “polish” since he is polish.. no offence intended…
He also still believes he has a 32 inch waist… maybe 42 but certainly not 32….
How do I get him without hurting his manhood.. to realize he doesnt look good… or his hair doesnt… he should at least use product and something! He said he is growing it to donate to LocksofLove….
right now with ponytail– he only has about 4-4 1/2 inches of length… locksoflove requires 10 inches from pony tail holder…

ATP July 6, 2008 at 9:14 am

I am cracking up reading the comments here because it seems to most girls, ‘long hair’ is considered ‘emo hair’, for lack of a better term.

It is my understanding that, shoulder length hair (atleast), is considered ‘long hair’.

But from my experience, having long hair between midback and waist, I can say that I’ve attracted so many 40 yr old rocker chicks stuck in the 80s and barflys on MySpace, that it kinda frustrates me.

I mean, no offense to them, but I think they’re stuck on a rocker/metal image and I’m not really that persona, nor is it really the type of chick I want.

To bang, sure, but for a relationship, probably not.

But that said, I do think that long hair on a guy that is really long, can look really bad. Ecspecially, if you’re sporting a potbelly. Granted, it’s all preference and whatnot but I’d have to think that, it’s really not a flattering look.

I think the only guys that can get away with really long hair are slim androgynous/goth types.

So until I get a flat belly, which may never be likely, my hair may stay at chest length.

jt July 16, 2008 at 4:30 am

do what you like, not what you think other people will like. im bald because it doesnt get in the way, im a mma fighter, you wont like to be in the cage with long hair. i can drive my convertable and not have hair flying in my face, im not worried about it being messed up during the day or going to the barber every two weeks. some girls like it and some dont. you cant attract them all. same with my body type, im very muscular, some girls like it and some dont. whats your next topic? what kind of cars do girls like? what kind of clothing do girls like on men? what kind of body attracts women? stop wasting your time and do what you do

Rae Dell Ward July 16, 2008 at 3:24 pm

From a stylish, sort of grandmother. I have 2 grown male men. One Single and one married. They both wanted to grow their hair long. One has curls and the ends of his hair looked very unhealthy and frizzy. I called him the bush man. A nice trim and style brought back my handsome young son. I always thought it should be short but I really like it now. The other son could look a lot better if he would trim his and give himself a style like the one you chose. His hair flips on the nap of the neck. The rest hangs in his face and is too long. I think I might even like his with a longish style too, but can’t stand it hanging in the eyes. Their eyes are what make them so handsome so why cover them.

evie July 26, 2008 at 7:35 pm

very hawt depends how long like chin long yes down the back long not for me haha but still very gawdge better than short hair anyday

Jamie August 7, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Long. I’m (Artsy guitar playing girl) attracted ONLY to long hair. Long hair gives men a thoughtful look and softens hard facial features. also because actors,artists,musicians favor long locks it gives you an air of having talent or an interesting perspective. as for the awkward growing out phase, start with a simple timeless layered look. as shown here. http://www.matrixbeautiful.com/find_your_hair_style/mens/style_14.aspx?scroll=0
trim it up every few months, just a bit to keep it healthy until you get the length you like.
My husband recently had his hair cut this way but about 2 in’ longer and its done wonders for his look. long is in but hes 27 and too old (and classy) for the emo- newer long styles. and the page boy shag is going out fast. this cut is long, yet professional. and can be styled in more trendy looks for nights out.

The Beautiful Kind August 22, 2008 at 4:32 am

I hate ponytails on a guy – it makes them look weak.

But a mop of curly hair gets me every time. Give me disheveled and touchable.

And for godsake:
MEN SHOULD NOT HAVE BANGS. EVER.

Matt Savage August 22, 2008 at 3:58 pm

TBD,
Well, if you like curly, disheveled and touchable then you’d love running your fingers through my manly mane:)

Simon August 24, 2008 at 5:56 pm

I’m 16 and have medium shoulder lenght hair. I like it but people often mistake me for a girl. Please help I can’t seem toattrat women. If anybody could give me some nice styles itwould be much apprecated. Thanks

jake August 26, 2008 at 4:35 am

why long hair?

nick September 3, 2008 at 7:41 pm

I always wanted my hair to be long but end up cutting it at that middle stage. Once again I’m gonna give it another shot. This pic inspires me.

Jonathan September 5, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Im in the awkward stage… again, and I almost gave up… again, cause my hair curls at a certain length and I end up being tolled I look like a surfer dude. It doesnt look too bad it just doesn’t look professional. Eventuallly, I had to choose between my pain in the ass hair or the possibility of more money. Luckly I discovered the straightning iron. Now I can have both(without any pain in my rectum) plus every day is a good hair day now, AND almost all the women I know has complimented the change.
But after it gained some length the compliments started going away, so now Im keeping it at medium length.

emma September 7, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I reckon it depends on your face, I think if you have blunter looks, a longer hairstyle will suit you especially if you have a rounder face and head. Short hair suits people with more angular faces and heads. Overall though, longer hair required less gel/wax etc, which makes you look less like a porcupine/chav. If your hair is greased up and spiky, well thats just rubbish really.

dan September 7, 2008 at 3:27 pm

simon mate, brush back and over your ears at the sides, on the top find a point 2/3 over to one side and flick it across, it will give a bit more volume, when it starts flattening, a couple of hours later, just do the same but opposite sides. simple. And put a bit of wax in the front to push it up a bit so it doesn’t just stick to your forehead

dan September 7, 2008 at 3:30 pm

just a point, tbh, I reckon if it is past the neck, thats too long, you’re not bill bailey. You just look like a tit, and unless you are balding, skinhead makes you look like a complete pillock, spiking makes you look about 12. Basically, short but with enough that you don’t need hair products to style it, i.e. you can flick it about, or long but an inch or two shy of the jaw

Colin September 13, 2008 at 11:38 pm

I had long dreadlocks which I only cut off recently..I have already seen a change in the type of females I attract. Normally it would have been artsy females but now I attract more of the professional type.

rob decker September 22, 2008 at 9:18 pm

i cant really make up my mind as to what kinda haircut i wanna get.
my last haircut was march 1st.i’ve been growing it nonstop ever since and it’spretty much still around that middle stage i guess.
yeah,i really cant make up my mind right now as to pertaining to having a preferred and specific style and length of definite preferance.
hey,maybe check out a recent vid of mine and let me know what you’s think i should do pertaining to my hairstyle and what amount of it would suit me best….thanks. : )

Morion September 24, 2008 at 4:20 am

I’m a long hair dude also… What can I say… It’s awesome having a long hair althought it’s kinda hard in the akward period before the hair grows nicely.

Yeah it’s true, long hair atracts more women, but not all…
I know what kind of women I like and long hair does half the job for me.

I also think long hair is a sign of power, a sign of male strength. Throughout history warriors wearn long hair: vikings, samurais, knights, and so on.

Now regarding the style, I like to wear it wild and untaimned most of the time. At home I wear it in a ponytail, but outside I let it wild.

Dstokes September 25, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I’m trying to let my hair grow but its only been like three months and when it comes to styiling my hair its just whatever looks good in the moment. As in length I got no fucking clue as to how long I want it but I know I dont want it reaching my ass thats for shure. So I say just go subtle and as long as it looks good and you have succsess with hot ass chicks whatever works.

Kat October 8, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Definitely long hair. But there is a fine line between “cute and shaggy” and “overgrown and girly” I speak for a lot of girls when I say The Midlength is what every type of girl; rocker, punk, prep, etc. etc. will go for. Obviously, this depends on the boy’s hair type and texture to begin with (boys with curly hair can get away with longer styles) but in general, this style means hair that reaches slightly past the ears, to about mid-jaw, and longer front bangs. Which means Zac Efron could nab another 2-3 inches and still be in the green zone. After that, however, it’s a matter of preference. Extremely long hair on men (long enough for a ponytail) is ONLY, and this is important gentleman, only only only acceptable if the hair is a) well groomed and b) toward the thicker side , as a long scraggly ponytail is no ones idea of sexy. It should also look good long in general. Dark hair works best for this.

Hope that helped, and good luck with future hairstyle ;)

Bumafu October 16, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Personally I think long hair on a guy is the way to go – depending on your face shape.

It’s like when my friend went and decided to go bald and he has an upsettingly weak chin and jaw line, so it looks bad. He looked much better with shaggy hair.

Not that my friend is the point here, but I’d definitely like to say that long hair on a guy is definitely really sexy. I find myself more attracted to a guy with the shaggy layered look than the guy with the short business look. It makes them look kind of formal to me, or too straight-edge or whatever. Like they’re no fun.

I know that’s stereotypical but that’s just what I get.

Shaggy hair = <3

g October 22, 2008 at 1:56 pm

i think long hair is better
+ it dosnt matter wat style u have as long as yur happy with it

Zack October 22, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Ive have had short and long hair both for many many years. I find short hair very easier to handle as you can wake up, gel it up a bit and get on with your day. But with long hair some days my hair will do what i want it to do but other days my hair looks like a mess.

Personally i think both hair styles have their attractions to women. I find with long hair girls kind of thought i was a bad boy and i never really got girls. With short they thought i was very young and cute. To me its all about what you like and who your trying to get. Some girls like short and some girls like long, so your going to have to choose.

Right now i have long hair thats longer then my ears by around 2-3 inches, Its rather long and i have found that a lot of girls have thought as me as a nerd which i have no clue. So im going to go short to see what changes.

Randy October 30, 2008 at 8:43 am

Yeah I just recently cut my hair and i’m starting to miss it. I was the only white boy in my area (that I know of) that had a full head of natural black hair. I’d put it in braids and pull off a Jack Sparrow for the kids at my little bro’s school…anyway, lol the girls always complimented me on the color and i’d have to say that I had better luck with them when my hair was long. =]

Dolon November 5, 2008 at 10:24 pm

The last time I had gotten a hair cut was about 3 or 4 months ago, and it has grown to a decent length. I recently acknowledged that my girlfriend seem to be more in to my hair complementing me and tells me how ( something about me looks different IN A GOOD WAY ). Also It seems like I am getting little more attention from other girls as well.

Russell November 6, 2008 at 2:31 pm

i have had both short and long hair cuts and short defintly did not suit me whatsoever but the long hair always makes or breaks me when it comes to females liking me or even checking me out my hair is about 4 inches past my shoulders and extra thick and kind of wavy i keep it pulled back and the only girls that seem to like it are the goths rockers and goody good girls who i end up curupting i like my lomg hair but i almost feel like i need to cut it but short hair is a no go do any of you girls have any ideas

Mike November 7, 2008 at 7:12 pm

It would be nice if some more girls would give there opinions. I’ve always had shot hair, but I’m thinking about getting a longer style. I was thinking something like this http://markthebarber.co.uk/images/hairstyles.jpg

Anyone have any opinions? Would the be a good hairstyle?

Dr. Hugecock December 12, 2008 at 1:36 am

I, for the most part have always had longer hair, since about the age of 12, i have had many different styles and lengths of longer and mid length hair. I started to grow it out early, for three reasons lol. ONE; It was the 90′s and it was kinda popular and i like nirvana alot haha. TWO; I wanted to elongate my face and cover my semi big ears lol.

I have noticed that ppl normally do associate long hair with art, rock and things of that nature.. but it really depends on the style as well.

I prefer long hair on me, and i believe most other guys look great with it too. But obviously not all. So in short, long is better. But you truly have to go with what suits you.. and what looks best with your style and most importantly facial features. And men.. dont be afraid to use some product or a flat iron.

me, currently.

Cutie with a Booty December 12, 2008 at 1:40 am

LOL!

Guttgrinder December 13, 2008 at 1:16 am

my hairs down to my waist n girls dig it.

Jesus December 24, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Yeh i had long hair until the last supper, never got laid tho ggl.

Dave January 2, 2009 at 5:06 am

My girlfriend likes short & structured hair. She’s just that type of girl who prefers a short, neat hairstyle on men. Other girlfriends I’ve had felt the opposite.

All girls are different, all have different tastes.

BobbyD January 3, 2009 at 10:10 am

I’ve had all different styles throughout my 38+ years on Earth.

Skin Bald,Shaved,Buzzcut,Spiked,Meduim & Gelled back,Short & Gelled forward,Getting there Long,Shoulder length,and beyond.A third of a way down my back in the mid 90′s.

Right now its just about all the way down the back of my neck.
I’ve been contemplating cutting it Really Short myself or Buzzing it myself,or maybe shaving it skin bald after that.I was doing the skin bald thing for 4 months between feb 06 and June 06 and eventually grew tired of doing that.

I used to do it myself with a gillete Mach 3.It seemed pretty Cool but the thing is,i was getting all these redspot dots all over my skin bald head.That wasnt Cool so i decided to let it grow back out.
Since then,the shortest i’ve gone is buzzed on the sides and cut very short but with enough to spike it on top.

I thought that was a Cool Look but i got sick soon after that so maybe that was a sign or something.Maybe its bad luck for myself to have that type of style.I like the James Dean style of short meduim and slicked back.Hard to decide which style to go with though.

Here’s my YT channel…I’ve had quite a few styles during the last year and 3 months of my YT tenure….

Tom January 9, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I always used to have short spiked hair in my youth. In secondary school I started to grow it and I found the girls started to dig it. So I think most girls to like guys with long hair.

Like most guys with long hair I have had my fair share of terrible haircuts. At the moment I have neck length blonde hair which is not styled (I let it do it’s own thing) . I’m getting a haircut tommorow and I have no idea what I want. I have a round face shape.

Cheehuts January 10, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I love reading these comments, but seriously some of the stuff said is nutso … ” ponytails make you look weak” ???? 2 words

CHUCK NORRIS !

Anyways , it’s all about what suits you , some people look good bald others don’t … go with what will flatters your face and what is comfortable for YOU!

Cheeeerrssssssssssssssss

Cheehuts January 10, 2009 at 11:13 pm

PS.

Dr. hugecock, u look like a bitch … n we all know what’s really down there mr. mm

Lupus January 24, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Mmmm Interesting…
A friend of mine linked me to this forum.. he was taking the piss & amusing himself… fair play… the Baldy git :0)
I was a military brat all my life until I joined up myself & served 15 years…. A Crew cut was the norm for me & anyone with more hair was a Hippy. I let mine grow a little so I could Flat top it back in the day!
When I left the armed forces & started down a new path my hair got a little longer just because I had no Drill Sgt screaming at me that I was a Girl etc.. heh heh
After a little while I kind of got to like the little shaggy feeling of having some hair & let it go a little.. it was a mystery to me what my hair would do & I was intreagued :0)
As a British guy I started to appreciate the looks of all the old style Celtic Warriors & how they all wore thier hair & how it was a symbol of strength as has been mentioned on this forum.
I decided to try & grow it long to see how it looked & how I felt about it.
Going through the “niether here nor there” phase was an absolute nightmare & I sympathize with anyone who is persevering with that torture at the moment!
However… having resisted the crop my Rug began to settle in & eventually started to hang in a nice natural style to my shoulders & I settled with the whole idea.
As far as Female attention… some loved it & some hated it.
Fortunately for me my good lady loves that whole 80′s rock hair image thing so I was ok :0)
My hair is very thick & after about three years of natural growth I got so annoyed with it one hot summer I cut it back a little & then by half & then again to short!
I regretted it at once & immediately vowed to grow it out again & to stick with it.
The way I see it is this… I like to be an individual & will make efforts to maintain that. Every Peer concious insecure guy I see crops his hair to blend in & not draw attention.
First & foremost.. wear your hair the way you want to & how you feel comfortable. For you… not for fashion or because you think you might get laid more often… that’s just Shallow dude.
But for me… my long thick hair is a great source of strength & character… even if it really gets on my freaking nerves at times! :P

Beanz_45 January 28, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I’m a woman, and for me, the longer, the better. When I say long, I mean beautiful hip length tresses. The guy should be able to maintain a fairly sleek, clean look and not look like a caveman. The 80′s hair metal look is also very attractive, but only on guys with an element of androgyny (no cavemen!) lol.

TC February 3, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Hey man, I have a lot of experience in this area as i was a hairdresser for 11 years and have found that women do like the longer hair and also facial hair they also tend to like. You do get the odd complaint “ooh that is so prickly” but it is generally a good place to start a conversation with a woman as they do make remarks about the hair and beard and so it gives me an opportunity to get in there and talk to them.
So I reckon give it a go and grow it man, you only live once!!

Alex June 17, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I think women with long hair are hot. But I’m more like of a feet-guy. Hehe! Love women with nice feet. ;)

PK July 12, 2009 at 7:08 pm

I’ve been growing out my hair for about 4 years now and am definitely attracting a lot of attention now due to the length (down to mid chest and died black), on the streets i hear comments like “that dude looks like a girl” or “that guy will never get a girlfriend looking like that” however, when I’m out clubbing, I literally get attacked by girls from all sides and can pick and choose as i please, it seems to me that girls hate it, yet love it at the same time, might be a peacock thing, or a society image thing, i don’t know…

robster March 3, 2010 at 11:48 pm

HaHaHa..I really like Pk’s post ! A peacock thing….LoL.

Marcus Vallerius March 19, 2010 at 1:30 am

Jesus Christ, James, The O.T. Prophets, as well as their relatives or ancient moses codes followers were longhaired, whose length depended on their own choice. Short hair was not supposed to be an acceptable look/choice for real christians – the same way as it wasn’t for ancient jews. Short hair is “derived” from Industrial Revolution,[women left their hair grow long because they were forgotten by men in history], The Fall of “Ancien Régime”, roman white slaveness, dictators rules, and so on and so forth. The real reason that many men cut their hairs short monthly is due to their alienation (even when they don’t listen to it), misunderstandings and “fear’ – they fear inquiring themselves about the certitude of their appearence – it’s easier to do it to others…! [That's why we have heared about many harassment incidents]. Appealingly, school standards that prohibit teens to use longhair are, somehow, an extent of such “mischiefings mistaken concepts”. It’s time to wake up, folks!

Marcus from Brazil May 6, 2010 at 10:05 am

Longhaired men are 10,000 better than short haired ones, in terms of being sexy, awesome and “savage”! I think longhair should be required in the armies, at business companies and so on – it’s pure nature and beauty! Just take a look on native americans, ancient vikings, modern Sikhs and hippies – they are so beautiful with their gorgeous hair that even a straight men can get envy of them! Long life for longhaired men!!!!

S May 7, 2010 at 2:19 am

I right now have my hair middlejaw length and am finishing the middle length hair phase. I might even make a party because it just got wild when you tried to grow it, but it all pays off when girls just rush to play with your hair.

Peronally, I have ears a bit bigger than usual and arent that strong, powerful person so I cant handle short hair. No matter how many times you wake up in the morning and you feel like pulling your hair out, dont cut it. It all pays off

Haley May 17, 2010 at 12:35 pm

OK, female here. See this guy’s hair? http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/anime/Tom-Wayland.jpg. It goes almost to his waist and is just GORGEOUS–he looks incredibly sexy! Part of that, for me, is because it is long, straight, shiny and very well-taken care of. Part of it also is that he simply has the kind of face that works very well with long hair. For each man, it will be completely different. You would really need to let your hair grow out and then get some honest feedback as to whether or not your facial structure can handle long hair. Some men just SHOULDN’T!. My own personal preference is NOT for long hair on men when it is fuzzy/curly. But I’m not that keen on men with fuzzy curly hair even when it is short (probably because that’s the kind of hair I have!).

Naughty Nomad May 21, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I’ve had Long hair, short, dreadlocks, skin head everything. You attract more women with medium length hair, but it’s down to EFFORT. Is it worth?

Deadlocks attract the kinky ones ;)

Jennifer June 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I used to LOVE long hair… I always went for men who had it. At some point, I completely changed that and I now much prefer a high and tight Marine style cut or just shaved altogether (bic or leaving a stubble, doesn’t matter to me.) I love the way it feels! I am not into long hair at all anymore. Of all the pictures you posted above, the third one (shaved head) is the most attractive to me. Add in a goatee on a sexy man along with the right game and I’m putty in his hands. Delight!

There is one exception to the “longer” hair rule that I noticed recently though. Matador from The Pickup Artist? Delicious. His hair isn’t quite shoulder length and it just works on him. I really like it.

Ruxxus October 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Well I think I have gotten more info from the comments than the article! I have thick curly Italian hair and it is in the shaggy, halfway covering-the-ears phase. I was hoping for style tips, but I guess it is a hat for me!
I really wanted to post Marcus Varillius’s comment. Short hair did NOT come about during the Industrial revolution. The earliest recounts of male shaving and short hair is commonly accept as Alexander the Great’s rule when he had his soldiers cut so they could not be pulled by the hair. The Romans adopted the look and dropped it on and off for many years. Since then it has gone through many ideological shifts in public perception and acceptance. America saw a huge surge of short hair during the 1920′s because of the psychological mass marketing from Madison ave. Hair products, grooming kits, and the general perception of men was being washed into the brains of America as a standard of appearance.
Sorry I am a History fan.

Matt Savage October 25, 2010 at 10:39 am

Ruxxus,
Yea, seriously this is one of my most commented on articles which is nice since it gives so many good and different opinions on the topic.

What’s interesting is that after doing the whole long hair experiment for about a year, I finally decided to revert back to a shorter hair style. For whatever reasons, it just wasn’t looking as sexy as I imagined it in my head and also, I think being a short guy, a short or medium hair style is much more favorable to one’s height.

And I do appreciate the history lesson, that’s good stuff:)

Gabriel October 25, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I personally have long-blonde hair down to my shoulder, resembling a surfer. I usually go for the metro, androgenic GQ model look in a suit. With this style, I do stand out from the crowd compared to all the other guys with their short-clean cut style.

Betty November 19, 2010 at 5:14 am

I don’t have a preference.Actually,some hair is better then none I guess.What I don’t like is that uniformed buzzed look most guys seem to get. :-/
Other then that,long or short doesn’t matter as long as the guy looks good

BobbyD November 20, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Okay,Havent been on here in awhile. I had a lengthy ponytail going for awhile but i chopped it off because it was getting too thinned out like a rat’s tale. It looks much better when its just a bit more than medium. I’ve left the sides and i had to trim the bangs because they were down past my mouth.Crazy ! So Yeah,I leave the sides because i like to have my ears covered because then,i can wear the big gauged earrings and not be reprimended at my job. I notice,when i see films of bands from the seventies,hair covering the ears was really common even when they’re hair wasnt long in the back. Thats the style i’m sporting. One day,i was getting ready to cut my hair really short and i just couldnt. Its like my hand just froze and i put the scissors down and decided that i better leave my hair alone or i’ll feel highly regretfull.

Cailin December 3, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Not long. The only guy I’ve ever thought was hot with long, long hair was Eddie Vedder (and that was because his voice and PJ in general just killed me…agh – 90s grunge rock was SO sexy).

Short, but shaggy is best. Also, please note the excellent bone structure of every man in the pictures you posted above. The hair helps…but you can’t get a strong jawline from the barber shop (which is a damn shame). If all else fails, get a guitar and growl out some forlorn but manly ballad. Hair or no hair, we’ll melt on sight.

M.S. December 4, 2010 at 12:18 pm

It all depends on the face and build. Types like Russell Crowe (naturals) generally look better mid length and scruffy. Types like Gabriel Aubrey (dramatics) look better with mid length to long. Types like Kurt Cobain (gamines) look better with short to chin length. Types like Ben Affleck (classics) look better with short, neat styles and no facial hair. Personally I love the natural type with mid length hair and goatee or beard. I also love red heads. Not the bright stop sign red, but the soft reddish blonde or light reddish brown. If I had been a grown up during the hippie era, I would have been so happy with all that wild ,shaggy eye candy!

PR December 8, 2010 at 9:05 am

I couldn’t even be attracted to a guy with shorter than shoulder-lenght hair. My ex’s hair’s to his butt, and my bf’s hair is to his last middle ribs. Seriously, it’s a fetish to me. I cannot explain why…

Melissa March 7, 2011 at 3:54 am

I love long hair the best on like Gil ofrium he has light brown hair and blue eyes but he also has his hair blonde and black id say he looks best with his natral light brown hair also another hot guy with long hair is Casey James he has long blonde curly hair and blue eyes that us girls go crazy over so long hair is the hottest everrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Melissa March 7, 2011 at 3:59 am

My favortte hair color on a guy is brown second black third blonde and fourth red I love long hair on most guys Omg I saw this realy hot guy with long dirty blonde hair and blue eyes and I asked the lady is this your boyfriend and she said yes I said wow he is hot I kept saying how hot he was and that he could be a model and than when they left I said by hottie and they started cracking up it was so funny. he was so freaken sexy with his long hair.

Richard Neva March 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I don’t care what the styles are, church preachers can keep their comments about men with long hair, I know what I like to see on women though and pig tails drive me wild so I grew my own and I love to have two tails behind me! It is easy to care for with all the sprays that are around for women and my hair has never behaved so nicely for me. So there, all you women can snicker and all you men can laugh but hey, I am 70 now and I don’t give a good shit!

timmay! April 5, 2011 at 9:31 pm

im kinda growing my hair long at the moment. Its been a few months since my last cut and its getting long around my shoulders. Im just doing it for something different. Ive always gotten my hair cut religiously over the years every few weeks but just decided hey im gonna let it grow long and see how it looks. It looked cool when i was younger so why not give a go again. Im 31 now so i think it obviousy won’t look as good as when i was 14 but still looks good enough not to be cut. I like it.

Deborah April 10, 2011 at 2:05 am

OmG you other girls out there check out this hot dead drop sexy guy his name is Ace young he has long brown hair and brown eyes that most girls go googo over Im sorry but I just love brunettes so do guys because i keep hearing guys saying how they like long curly brown hair and brown or green eyes over blonde and blue eyes so there you ugly blonde girls guys like Brunettes and so do gilrl holy molie yes i love long hair on guys .

melissa April 10, 2011 at 2:09 am

OMG I used to have a boyfriend with long curly blonde hair and blueish green eyes and i would play with his hair it was gourgous hair he were it down all the time which i like the best im A brunette I have medium/dark brown hair and my eyes change colors from brown to hazel to green and to goldish my ex boyfriend thought i was the hottest girl ever so oppesites can atract. men grow your hair out long but not ass lenth thats way to long even girls dont have that long of hair most of the time. but sholdier lenth or a little bit longer is hot on guys.

Dean May 6, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I, myself is into long hairs from the 80s and 90s rock ‘n’ roll bands, mostly inspired by axl rose and sebastian bach, i think long hair just looks great on sharp defined chins and long face shape, though people might think you are “girly” or weak, but cmon, axl rose and sebatian bach have their own attitudes and still remain sexy!

James May 20, 2011 at 1:58 pm

It is good to have long hair, but I do not allow my hair to grow till my shoulders. It is much better to have longer hair under my ears looks cool.

Richard Neva May 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I am the guy with two pony tails. Nobody says anything to me about them where I live and I have never seen anybody else with two. Do I care? Of course not. In high school we always started trends and everybody followed and then we would switch on them and start something else. America is so dulled now, they do not notice much of anything. I saw some pink chiffon medium style bows on a web site and I was tempted to buy them and put one on each pig tail but I did not. I would probably get beaten up for doing it but I want to. I really do and I am no way homosexual. Kind of like Motely Crue. They always wore woman’s clothing and accessories and women fell all over them. I may get the courage some day to get those pink bows after all.

James May 20, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Hello, I am back again. I want to say about long hair is the coolest idea for me. I have long hair,curly hair where it comes under my ears. Just because having long hair means holiness to the Lord. It makes me feel so good about it. There is no beyond doubt. It depends how guys do use long hair. There are many reasons why do guy use long hair. It could be for being sexiness. Because long hair is sexy. The reality of all. Second reason, Nazarene vows. Third reason, it could be that guys use long hair because many women feel attracted to men with long hair. Fourth reason, it could be just because it makes them feel good about it.

Rafael June 9, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I feel pretty qualified to give a quick, helpful opinion.
I’ve had LOOONG hair for about one and a half decade and short hair for the rest of the time (25 years). After YEARS of trial and error, checking results in many countries I’ve been through (Yes, I lived in many places, don’t be a hater), the equation I came with is the following:

*SHORT HAIR MEANS “I’m a man’s man – I’m what you expect from a man”, conservative/”normal” type;

*SHORT HAIR BRINGS more feminine, more conservative chicks. (“girly girls”); chicks with dreams of building up a family and all that (that usually get scared off by guys with long hair).

*LONG HAIR MEANS “I’m different, a misfit, exotic, savage-like, I’m adventure[, and I'm possibly trouble]. I’m probably not a guy for building up a family with, but for having fun now, experiment life with and for you to get crazy with me.”

*LONG HAIR BRINGS less conservative (more crazy) chicks, *potentially* less feminine in mental makeup (true), with much less dreams of building up a family (which is usually HUGE for a healthy chick). Rockers, Punks, Metalheads, the ‘addicted’ kind of girls (true), risk-takers and Goths (used to be my Achilles’ heel). I won’t talk about emos and types alike as it’s just not my area of expertise.

Seems too oversimplified a model to follow – it’s not. There’s years of experience and observation in this; if you’re open-minded, maybe you can prove it to yourself that what has been writen has more than some sense to it. You obviously have to take into account what OTHER things are saying about you (and others) – the rest of you (or others) as a context – but those two kinds of hair seem to indicate that.

And as it is a generalization, we must take into account that “all generalizations are lies”.

Much happiness and success,

~Raffe [Now happy with a shorter hairstyle but not over being exotic]

Rafael June 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm

OBS: Not so quick of an opinion, and 25yo is my full age :)

max August 4, 2011 at 8:48 am

i had blond, shouldour length hair but it didnt seem to attract many girls, so ive opted to cut it short. I usually have a pattern, i grow it to my shouldours and then once a year i get it cut really short, cause I dont really like having to maintain it.

Monica August 6, 2011 at 12:17 am

I love a man with long hair. There is something so wild about it, like a stallion or a fierce lion. Its primal and barbaric. It says to me that he is passionate and does not live by normal crew cut standards.

Not all men can pull it off, but for the ones that can… they have my attention.

James August 8, 2011 at 11:57 am

I’m a male with long hair, and have had long locks for years now. The reason it’s long is because I always wanted long hair, even as a kid. So it’s just part of who I am. Simply put, I don’t care what people think of my hair. It actually helps in determining who accepts you as a person and who doesn’t. Some guys will always create an image based on what others like or expect, but that image isn’t who they are. I enjoy not conforming to society and not reinforcing senseless social norms. If I did cut my hair, it would be because I just want a change (but that probably won’t happen.) Any other reasons to cut long hair, like for a job or for other people, is selling out, and I’m not going to sell out. There’s a great deal of dignity lost when conforming to a shallow, senseless set of “norms.”

Olette August 16, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Long Hair! Its really attractive, and I rarely date guys who don’t have longish hair. I’m a pretty artsy, gamer girl though too, so that might be why. I can’t help but love long hair though! Its just so sexy!

Jack russel September 8, 2011 at 7:25 pm

For the awkward mid-phase just wear a hat. It will be a whole lot easier.

Teresia September 10, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I think it not only depends on the personal style of the person but texture of hair verses face shape. My boyfriend is trying to grow out his hair and he’s one of those people who has multi-textures, strait on top and wavy once it gets to his ears. Great volume and a square face. Shoulder length I think would amazing on him but those awkward stages are a pain. What I do is keep bottom clean until the length fills out to keep it from looking weird and then add the layers in later when the length is proper. Sure it’s a lot of maintenance but it looks amazing. ^ ^

Marco Lee September 13, 2011 at 4:51 am

Short hair always works for me. If I grow it long the only thing that makes it cool for me is if I brush it up.

Sarah October 21, 2011 at 4:53 am

I find long hair on males to be generally attractive because it reminds me of historical warriors and also because of the personality traits that I perceive long haired males to have (nonconforming, comfortable with their sexuality, more likely to be into metal, non hipster etc).

But then again, I’m exactly like Olette! So perhaps it is a specific type of female that feels that way about long hair.

nightoracle October 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm

There is something so natural about guys with long hair. I find it extremely attractive and I’ve almost cried when my boyfriends shave it or cut it too short.

As a woman in her twenties I can state for the record that I love men who let their hair grow. My favourite cuts are men’s hairstyles from the mid-sixties through to the seventies. I always stop a guy on the street and compliment him if he has a gorgeous retro cut, it’s definately my cup of tea.

I highly encourage it, let your hair grow men. (A well kept beard is also sexy, and for God’s sakes quit waxing your chest, if you’re not a professional swimmer, it just looks awful!)

steelheart November 9, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Long hair on men over the age of 35 is harder to pull off unless you are a rockstar or something and even then looks worse as you get older, like you are still holding onto youth psychologically and can’t let go its sends out the wrong messages.

For the more alpha women it conveys immaturity not able to embrace change and a bit old for the girls unless they are 40 something chick into 80s hair bands.

Same if you are balding or going grey and dying your long hair to cover the grey or where a ponytail will attract less women than a masculine older guy with a shaved head. Thats why struss was more attractive with shaved head.

Exceptions to every rule of course but sometimes a certain look may not work so well depending on what stage of life your are at, sometime you need to reassess.

Falkon Nightsdale November 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Well… Most of my life i had very short hair, attracting mostly hi-styled, but too square and boring or hopelessly immature and vain girls…
After split-up with most promising of them, i let my hair grew…

After few years, I had them waist-lenght – “standart metal length” (yea.. I love metal and classic music) and it seemed to lure girls of much greater qualities… Maybe less physically attractive, but definitely much more intelligent, wise and open-minded…
Then I fell in love to a girl who didn’t reciprocated my feelings (nothing to do with fact she likes short hair) and after “deep mourning period” and few other emotional turbulences, I shortened my hair by 42 cm – to shoulder-lenght…
It greatly disappointed many georgeous girls around me, and their attention slightly dropped…it was a bit harder to find a suitable girlfriend then…

I guess, 2 years from now, I’ll have my waist-long hair back… ;)

Levi November 21, 2011 at 5:33 pm

So I have been growing my hair out for almost 2 years. I have long sandy blonde curly hair right now. The best way to describe my hair/facial features would be like Justin Timberlake when it was a bit shorter. Now that it is longer, almost shoulder length it seems like I attract different women. Ultimately I have found that women do like a guy that takes care of himself, meaning keeps their hair looking good weather it be long or short.

Personally I do like having long hair because I can pull off things like bandannas and big sunglasses, but from a professional standpoint it is kind of frowned upon. I am currently on the border debating on cutting my hair because I am a professional and don’t want to risk my job over it.

Ultimately I will say that longer hair requires a lot more care…and research. I have tried several different products and combinations to get my hair the way I want and it does look good as several women have told me. So I guess my point would be do what makes you happy. I am sure I will probably end up cutting it shorter again, probably in a few months. I personally don’t regret growing my hair out and one day I will look back and say well at least I had fun and did it once!

MANUP December 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm

keep it short, grow a beard and man the fu8k up

N0AH December 6, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Okay, let me start. I am eighteen years old and ever since I was five years old I always was attracted to the boys with the ”surfer” or ”emo” type hair. Never to the waist, because, that for me was creepy knowing that your boyfriend would have longer hair than you :/ Tip #1 DO NOT listen to the guys that call you a faggot, or ”girl” if you have long hair. They will say things like, “You won’t get a girl in bed with that hair” or “Stop looking like a fag.” Just ignore them. Because *let me tell you a little secret* they are jealous of your beautiful hair! Girls ADORE the long hair. If you really want to attract more girls, go with that look. I promise you that your girl ratings will go up 90% But, if your the type who gets embarrased or pissed at the guys who tell you mean stuff about your look, cut your hair to save you from bieng called a fag by all the jealous guys. If you do cut your hair I promise you that you will not attract as many women as you did with the long hair. Here are some guys with the hair that most young girls from Early teen to late twenties find a turn on: Danny Worsnop, Alex Evans, Oliver Sykes, Cameron Ugh (which guys would most definetaly call GAY all the time) and last but not least my absolute favorite Andy Six. Those are the types of hairstyles girls in their teens find amazing, which I do. It might be me, but some boys can’t pull it off. But, if you like these hairstyles GO FOR IT! Me myself, i’m into the metalcore, Punk type of guys. :D

Rock DJ in MS December 18, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I’m a 30-year-old guy who has shoulder-length sandy-blonde hair. I get totally mixed reactions from people, women and men alike. I’ve always had long hair, ever since I was about 15, and up until I was about 27, everyone loved it. Then there was this shift where women started liking it less and guys seemed to comment more about how cool it looked. I may have been that the guys admired that I still had a full head of hair as I aged while they were losing theirs either on the crown or the temples or both.

My wife and 5-year-old daughter both LOVE it. They’ve told me that they’ll boycott any other hairstyle I get. But I do have my days where it is just a hassle and would be easier to get rid of. I’ve often wondered how much easier short hair would be or how much more people would like my hair if it were shorter. But I always end up keeping it long.

I’ve been a Brad Pitt devotee for twenty years. And his long hair from “Legends of the Fall” is what mine has been compared to. His hair in that film should be what every man who has or wants long hair aspires to have. There’s no better looking long hair.

Bottom line: there’s something rustic and manly about long hair. If you’ve got a full head of thick hair that’s not receding, then you can pull off the long hair look. And long hair really pops when you wear a three-piece suit, or just suit up in general (tux, two-piece, three-piece, or just suit pants and a vest). Long hair is the way to go.

Becky Vee January 3, 2012 at 8:04 am

I LOVE long hair!

I’m a barmaid, and forever get chatted up by guys with boring short hair. I’m an honest girl, i tell these boys straight out that i like long hair on boys. Long and shaggy; my basic requirements. The response i get is usually along the lines of “Nah, it’s way too much hassle”… Ok then, by default you’re not worth MY hassle.

Getting criticised for being ‘shallow’ is another response – usually from the poor balding souls, but do i call them shallow for liking girls with long legs, or curvaceous derrier’s? No i do not. Everybody has their own physical preferences, and should not be damned for voicing them.

Not everybody like’s blonde’s, i don’t get angry when they tell me this, and nor do i bother telling them that i’m not really a blonde anyway.

One of the old boy’s, who comes to the bar i work at, has a wild shock of white hair. In his youth it was a deep ebony, and he told me the girls used to love it. I told him it was still lovely and thick, and that i was so happy he kept it long and touseled – after all, lots of poor guys go bald by that age! He conceded he was quite proud of it :)

Long hair, if it is well looked after, makes you look younger, makes you look healthier, and in my eyes, makes you beautiful. A nice looking boy could walk in and i wouldn’t look at him twice if he had a buzz cut, or a receding hairline, but an average looking boy could walk in with a gorgeous shaggy do, and i wouldn’t be able to take my eyes off him.

I am by no means radical, and I believe i am pretty populist in my tastes, so if if i like it, you can bet almost anything a vast amount of other females like it too. Long hair is brilliant to run your fingers through, and to play with, and boys practically purr when you do it, because it feels nice for them too!

So get rid of those stupid guards on your razors boys, because if you’re lucky enough to hair you should damn well grow it!

anonymous January 5, 2012 at 5:32 pm

guys with long hair are immediately attractive as long as it suits their face andperosnality, but then guys with unusual short hair thatsuits them are also attractive :) dreads doubly so…

Anon January 7, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Tending to long hair isn’t the same as short hair. Ask your mom or girlfriend; she probably only washes it with shampoo once every few days, for example.

UnBaPtIzEd January 18, 2012 at 11:55 am

i’m in the process of growing mine out, possibly to a mid-neck, shaggy cut. it’s a mop-top now, along w/ a full beard, and i miss my no-maintenance shaved head, especially when it comes to jiu-jistu, working out, etc. but when i put on a plaid shirt and i’m working outside, i think the mountain man look is pretty awesome. we’ll see what happens when the warm weather comes back around. i don’t think anyone likes a burly looking guy in shorts and flip flops!

@MANUP i don’t know, man… some of the coolest dudes in history looked pretty bada$$ w/ some shaggy hair and a beard. my chick digs it, as opposed to my usual buzzcut and 5 o’clock shadow. as an earlier poster had stated, knights, vikings, etc. looked pretty cool w/ a beard and long hair.

aimeemason@talktalk.net January 20, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I love men with really long hair, pony tail or not! Its very sexy

tarquin February 6, 2012 at 6:32 am

I have hair down to my upper back and women either despise it (i think bcz of the power i have with it–i think these women want to have the power of long hair!); they always tell me to cut my hair or it doesn’t look good on me; esp. in the gay scene since i do go to gay bars once in a while (they really discriminate with long hair guys) LOL; and then you have all the rest of the people that love my hair (notice how long hair guys are used in TV commercials??? and movies???) When I go to get my hair highlighted the stylists ALWAYS insist on cutting my hair! it has gotten to the point that I tell them up front ” if i even see a pair of scissors I”M getting up out of the chair and walking out” then they get the point; there seems to be a conspiracy about guys not having long hair (down to shoulders) etc.

Shelley February 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I personally think that long hair should be compulsory.. the longer hair – the better… jet black or dark is good.. even some guys who are ginger/red look better with long hair or long dreads.. none of this Justin bieber scene hair shit. You will attract different girls, but as you’ve pointed out – the types you get more of are not a bad thing!

Paul February 22, 2012 at 9:37 pm

19 year old male.

Well, I’ve just read the article and comments of past 3 years. I am a male and was looking for advice how to treat my hair (e.g. thin it but NOT trim it). It is currently ALMOST (maybe 1cm left) bottom ear length, I suppose this is what’s called awkward phase? I’ve been told by some people (not really strangers) to cut my hair, or shave (haha, I love my hair) but it doesn’t really affect my anyhow, I have never been told anything like that on the street, and I’d better be not, because I am not the person who let’s abuse just go by (or maybe this mess on my head just looks too good). My hair tends to curl/wave but is not really either, when it dries after the wash, if no comb is instantly used, it just does in all directions :-)

So, after reading all these comments I decided to not even go to a hairdresser, but just survive (I believe) a couple months more and then go to the stylist. For the past 3 years I was buzz-cut person, and I could tell it looked good on me, but since it’s university years, I want to experiment. Also I’ve been at this stage only once before, I believe it was 9month uncut grow, and now I have 6month uncut grow, straight from the buzzcut :-)

SO, dear hair lovers (or not), what are your thoughts on it, maybe some advice? Is this the “awkward phase” ?

Thanks!

Zman March 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Summer of 2009 i started growing my hair out. When it got shaggy i remeber the girls loved it because they played with it alot and also because im into bodybuilding and my body was ripped and muscular. Then it got to shoulder length and i started attracting more and more girls and would get alot of complements. I remeber doing cardio in my subdivision in the morning. I would run with my shirt off. Like i said before im into bodybuilding and have built a good body. The ladies that would pass by would scream out all sorts of stuff like SEXY, or HOTT or just stop by or slow down. As time went by my hair got longer past my shoulders. I started putting it in a ponytail and ALL sorts of girls loved it. I got noticed everywhere. It makes u stand out like crazy cause ur not like some average joe with the same ol buzzed short haircut. You pretty much get noticed everywhere u go. Ladies love it!! I remember i was getting gas at QT and this chick came up to me and said i love your hair. Lol i got her number and it was a done deal. She was hott! So the ladies do love long hair even if they say they dont they do. If you are in shape and have long hair then that deff makes you stand out. Recently my grandpa was going thru chemotheraphy and lost his hair and was bald. To show support i buzzed of my hair after growing it for two years. Currently i have a buzzed cut. It looks OK. Keeping it short for the summer. Once august comes im gona grow it back out for good. As a side note, i went thru that weird stage too. Just wear beanies and fitted hats it makes u look cool plus chicks dig guys that wear fitted hats. Also beanies make u look cool too. Or u could wear any other hat that u like. Thats how i got thru that weird stage. Anyways have fun growing ur hair out.

Andrea March 23, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I personally LOVE guys with long hair. Whether it be curly, wavy or straight, long hair captivates me. The length and style of the hair really should depend on the guy’s features. But in my opinion, locks on the longer side, are irresistable.
My boyfriend has grown his straight, golden brown hair to about half way down his back and I can’t keep my hands off of it – or him, for that matter. <3

Krist March 26, 2012 at 3:27 am

Do whatever you like and you’ll attract a girl you like, every girl has her personal prefference on guys hair and other things, hanging out with my friends one day 2 girls and a guy, the guy commented my hair was getting long and I should cut it, one girl agreed with him and the other girl said she liked my hair longer, to each his own do what you like and you’ll get used to it eventually

Tracy March 30, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Guys, do us (women) a favor and do away with your clippers and shavers–the more hair on a man the better (with the exception of back hair :)

Cameron April 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Hey man, too be honest I had the short hair for about 14 years, then I did the crazy spiky hair in my high school days and now a a senior in college I have long curly hair that goes to my shoulders. People say I look like late 80s early 90s Pauly Shore or Sky blue from LMFAO ,lol. But I been through most of the hair stages and as a guy…I like having long hair. It feels liberating and to add to that I take really good care of it. Also to with me having genes from both my black and white parents I have very soft curly locks. And i too seem to attract a different group of girls. Usually its Hispanic or African American women. Caucasian women i have dated in the past think don’t like it at first until that actually play with it and they like it. But I don’t base my decisions on weather a woman will like me based on my style ( not saying you r saying this) because if i did, my style would be changing a lot. If there is a style you like, go for it. Your hair doesn’t define who you are but your actions. And if a person passes you up because of your style choice…then that person just missed their chance on a cool person. Do you, man. And the right person will like you for who you are. But the most important thing is love the style you rock and then that confidence will show and women like a man with confidence =) I know for me, people tell me to keep my hair long or to cut it. But for me, i do what i want cuz its my life. Cuz in the end of the day i have to live with what ever decision i make. They don’t have too. So I ignore them. Haha srry, I didn’t mean to talk so much man or preach at all. But in short with what ever hair style you choose. Rock it out =) Good luck man!

Yuriy May 2, 2012 at 6:48 am

Greetings!

I’m a 22 year old male, and haven’t seen a barber in 17 months.
I quit smoking, met my girlfriend, stopped hanging out with posers, drunkards, and the ‘cool kids,’ so called ‘friends,’ started growing my hair out- more or less in the period of a month.

The people I go to university with had/have mixed reactions. Ranging from likes and oohs aahs, to comments that I look like a girl, faggot etc. One time, a group of drunk dudes taunted me asking me why I had such shaggy hair. Also, there’s the occasional mistaking me for a girl, but who cares.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about cutting, or styling it somehow. All the misery and agony involved in thinking to cut or not to cut is unnecessary IMO. Just do what feels natural!

My girlfriend loves it, her best friend likes it (says it makes me look like a brutal dude- her words :) Parents don’t really care as long as I’m healthy and am not in jail, trouble etc :)

I’ll paraphrase the character of Dwayne from the movie, “Little Miss Sunshine,” (if you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it)
“‘Dwayne: You know what? F*** beauty contests. Life is one fucking beauty contest after another. You know, school, then college, then work, f*** that. You do what you love, and f*** the rest. “‘

I’ll tell you this, if you are contemplating long hair- DO IT!

Gilad from Israel May 11, 2012 at 10:15 am

Hi, brow, I njoyed what u said, by the way, I’m half Israeli half Brazilian, it happens to mee too, girls are loving my hair,mits growing, but my hair is curly, but thin, my girlfriend has a video on utube, about people with curly hair. Do u have a hair routine brow? Like my hair is super high maintenance, curly hair needs volume and a lots of hydration, otherwise they frizz nd it sucks.
Visit my girlfriends video on utube, u will learn a lot about hair when u watch it, this why she is my GF, she is really devoted to beauty and in special in hair hair. Don’t hit on her, she is my GF :)

Can u post some updates on how ur hair is growing this days?
Cheers brow, gilad.

Kat June 15, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I prefer guys with short hair. Guys with short hair are just way sexier than those guys with long hair. Long hair on guys is just gross in my opinion.they always remind me of hobos, lol. Not to offend anyone or anything like that.

Lehi June 18, 2012 at 7:35 am

Longhair … rocks… mine is a bit maybe around 2 inches surpassed the chin… ” kinda like the longhair hisashi mitsui from slamdunk. or android 17 from dragonball… try to search it… its way cooler than any other hairstyle… girls u know definitely likes to touch and have fun w/ it… trying all sorts of things w/ it … and they just keep on asking and asking about it … or maybe they are just interested in me and not the hair haha… but the most important thing is … I enjoy my hair… and without it i feel always agitated … angry… cant look in the mirror…. and always in foul mood… hell yeah fuckers…

Mike June 18, 2012 at 5:35 pm

It’s all a matter of what you like or what looks good on you. You’ll get chicks either way. Long hair is just badass, all the toughest and most honorable people had long hair like the vikings, celts, knights, native americans, Jesus, and me.

amir June 25, 2012 at 8:34 am

I have a crush on a guy with long hair and i never opened it up to him…..i always fantasize that i tell him how wild his hair look to me and how much they turn me on but that remains a fantasy…ive never liked long hair on men and all of my female frnds say his hair is ugly and that im mad……but he is the only man who i find extremely manly with those hair and even without them..i wish he cud know,,,

Uriel July 30, 2012 at 12:29 pm

You people think too much…I like women for their bodies not hair unless they don’t care of it. That’s why score alot because of really picky or gay men. I just move on when people are too judgemental and nothing better else to do but gossip. I will grow my hair to my butt if I want

random August 4, 2012 at 1:24 am

I’m at the three month stage and im getting pretty good reactions so far, it helps that i’m 22 and im in cross country and track, I have made a sworn promise to not cut it for 2 years. Lol plus i’m a sophomore in college so it’s not a bad look at all.

SiT September 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I’ve had short hair pretty much all my life. It looked clean and classy, some girls liked the sporty look. Then I went ahead and said : “Fuck this, I want to look like a dirty surfer and look like a fucking warrior!”.

So here I am, 10 months later without having cut my hair. I’m polish and my hair is kind of blond so it’s natural color is impressing chicks. I’m going for the hair style of one of the guys in ‘The dudesons”.

For the awkward stage, I recommend a beanie or a cap, a headband etc. I looked like Hercules during my awkward stage lol. It’s almost at jaw length now, I’m proud to have committed to this change and I def see people noticing it more often now. You stand out from the abundance of guys with short hairs.

Mattias October 6, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Having short hair was fine when I was younger but as I got older, my forehead grew pretty high, and I have kind of a small face so I look ridiculous when hair is short. Someone here said she hated bangs on a man. I have my front hair hanging down over the edges of my forehead so it looks smaller/thinner. It’s a good hairdo for me. At the back it’s barely at mid-neck but will trim it down some soon.

I’d like to have it almost completely shaved but I just don’t have the face and head for it.

Mattias October 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I interpret shaved heads as a sign of a ruthless individual with little empathy. Also they seem to lack depth of personality. They also behave alike. Even so, I find it easier to talk to guys with short hair than to guys with long hair, maybe because of the simple, uncomplicated mind that I perceive. That said, I will cut my hair short, maybe shave it, when I’m 40-45 because long-hair on middle-aged men looks pretty pathetic.

Spiritwolf October 14, 2012 at 7:35 pm

When I was 19-21 I actually did have long hair, the main reason why I wanted to have my hair long was because I listened to the likes of Bon Jovi and Def Leppard. So I actually wanted to look like them so I just grew my hair out.

Now I’m currently 25 I want back to having short hair for a few years, which was cool for the time but after looking at photos of me with my long hair I do miss the style I had so I’m in the process of growing it out once again.

But to answer the question about if women find hair on men attractive, it depends on the woman to be honest. I know some of my female friends have admitted that they like men with long hair or men who haven’t shaved in a few days, while other women believe that men should only have short hair. When I did have my hair long alot of co-workers would mock me but alot of the women wanted to braid my hair, would even ask questions about how I would maintain my hair or even curse because my hair was longer than theres.

So lads if you wanna grow your hair out there is some advice I can give,
1) Be patient it takes time to grow out your hair sometimes it could take you 1-2 years to get your hair the way you want, but this is not always the case it only took me 6 months to get my hair to my shoulders.
2) If your not use to growing out your hair it will be annoying for some time, after a while you will be in the akward phase of your hair being long enough to get in your eyes but not being too long to tie it back. At the time I would wear a bandana it helped keep the hair out of my face.
3) Finally don’t was your hair all the time it takes away the natural oils your hair produces, also don’t use a rubber band to tie your back it will only damage your hair

Julie December 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm

It really really depends on the guy. I’ve thought for years I really liked short hair, even so far as to prefer it buzzed. But the other night I ended up with this sexy Native guy who had hair all the way down to the middle of his back and it was so damn hot… in fact it’s what got us into bed (along with the liquor, but we won’t get into that)… we were playing cards and drinking and he let me brush his hair and braid it and stuff…. and it became like… I don’t know an intimacy that broke the ice and before I knew it I was in my bed with his hair hanging all around my face. Mm mm MMM!

Crystal December 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Short hair all the way!! It looks sharp and SEXY!! Military type haircuts like a high and tight with slightly longer hair on top is the HOTTEST hairstyle on guys IMO. It’s the hairstyle that screams masculinity and strength. Run your hands up and down a guy’s head with a sexy haircut like that and you’ll realize it feels really cool!! Major turn on.

Konsa December 21, 2012 at 6:27 pm

It’s because long hair has many connotations: it can be, as you said, the symbol of alpha maleness or just the opposite, the symbol or sensitivity. Hence, it attracts various sorts of women with different tastes.

Attalal January 4, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I’ve been growing mine out for a year now for the first time in my life and I’ve noticed the change in the people that are attracted / repulsed by it. It grows in big curls and is really thick down to my chin. All I do is use shampoo that doesn’t contain sulfates, condition, and when it’s wet I work in some weightless serum so it doesn’t frizz when it dries. Women 95% of the time will hone straight in on me as soon as I walk into a room and smile. Really conservative types will look at it contemptuously like they disapprove, which just encourages me to keep it up. Men that are losing their hair absolutely loathe it. If I ever start showing signs of thinning I’m going straight back to shaving it every couple of weeks..

Keeno January 25, 2013 at 7:33 pm

In my experience. for my face a shaved head. like beckham. it’s funny that guys tell me to grow hair but most of the women say a shaved head. however when i was skinny and not as athletic as I am now. long hair seemed better. It really depends on how you look.

Chris February 24, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I tried to have scene type hair for the last 4 years. Mostly white or black girls liked the long hair. I have naturally curly/wavy hair so it was always difficult to pull off but i did it anyway. I did the Japanese straightening treatment which my hair didn’t take very well(some damage). I just cut it into a fohawk, which I don’t like as much as my long hair. It had to be cut eventually because of the damage. Its barely been 24 hrs. since I cut it and I’m already convinced myself to go through the patience, awkward phase again. It’s probably going to take at least a full year to grow it out again. Don’t be afraid of what other guys will say. Some women will like it , some wont. Even if you do it only once it your life, just try it . It will be worth it!! Here’s some tips, take biotin/hair vitamins, use aloe from the aloe vera leaf and put it in your hair and leave it in for an hr. before u rinse it out. Foods high in Vitamin A and B help as well.

Jenn July 6, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Lady here–and I say long hair for sure! I feel like shorter hair on guys gives off too much of a cold/harsh/straight laced vibe which I don’t really gel with. Long hair tells me you’re more laid back, fun and easy-going. I find the softer look more comfortable to be around, and maybe the fact that I’m a long-haired girl makes me feel like I can connect with you more (is that weird?). And since most guys have short hair, I think it makes you stand out a little more. Some prime long-locked examples are Johnny Depp and Keanu from the 80s/90s. That said, I probably wouldn’t go for a guy with hair past his shoulders–now that’s a little much. Though I suppose if you’re already painfully handsome, it wouldn’t really matter how short/long your hair is…

teamKURLY August 19, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I got long curly hair & many pretty girls like me different types from soccer players to emo girls also alot older women love my curls but at the same time theres probaly girls who find my long hair unnattractive i think it depends on the guy if it goes with him or not & if the girl is into guys with long hair in my experience most ladies love me so i aint cutting my hair off anytime soon :) p.s Guys take care of your hair & keep it healthy..

Mirandy February 11, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I looooove longer hair on a guy… My preference tends to be for those guys with longer than shoulder length hair, to the middle of their back. I think there could be several different reasons for it. Hair is a great indicator of health, and if a guy has longer locks, you can tell his overall health much easier than if his hair was short/he is bald. Women have a subconscious attraction to men that are healthy. As an added note, I have noticed that a massive majority of guys with longer hair are also much more down-to-earth and friendlier, much easier to talk to. It seems to me like they don’t take life too seriously and are rather free spirited, which draws me in.
I can’t say that I’m attracted to the “dirty” look… I like guys who have long hair, but have it well-kept. If it’s stringy/greasy or they have lots of split ends, I don’t find it attractive at all… I also enjoy running my fingers thru guy’s hair. I honestly couldn’t tell you what it is, but it’s very calming, and no guy has ever complained about me doing it. I’ve never seen a guy wear the claw thingies… That’s interesting. :) Much better for longer hair than elastic bands; they don’t pull your hair out, and that’s all that I use.