MySpace Dating Experiment

It’s my lunch break. I’m sitting at my desk browsing through a page of smoking hot women. I click on five profiles that I like and shoot off quick little messages to each one. Within minutes, I get intriguing replies from three of them. This is all part of my MySpace Dating experiment.

As of today, there are at least 233 million people who have MySpace accounts. Over half of these are women. A quick search shows that there is a huge abundance of good looking single women within a five mile radius of my zip code; there’s at least 3,000 of them, probably a lot more because that’s the most search results MySpace will allow.

So, lets assume that there were only 3,000. Then assume that about half of those are good looking. Then out of those, half are actually cool and worth dating. This gives me about 750 single women worth of dating within five miles of my house. Those are good odds and the truth is there’s a whole lot more than just 750 women.

Prior to last weekend, I had always thought of MySpace and online dating to be a complete waste of time. I’ve attempted online dating twice before and looking back, they were pretty lame attempts. You can read about the Craigslist dating experiment and my Facebook date for some good online dating entertainment.

I always thought that the best way to attract a woman was in person. The thinking was that this is only effective way that you can portray your personality. This was until I found out about Race and Kelly.

I click on my inbox and send out some playful replies to the three girls that just messaged me. I’ve only been at this for a week now and it’s almost too easy. In fact, the difficult part was setting up my profile correctly.

I spent my entire Sunday working on my profile; refining it, putting up the right types of pictures, writing the right types of things. This is the most important part of the whole experiment and I wanted to make sure I did it properly. I followed Race and Kelly’s system for profile design very carefully. The reason for this, is because once done properly, your profile does most of the work for you.

The truth is, this isn’t really much of an experiment for me. I’m just following a system that’s been tested and refined for the last two years. Race and Kelly are the true pioneers in this area of expertise. All I did was get their Window Shopping for Women book and start using it.

I’ve only sent out my first five messages so far and already three of the women are responding back and forth with me. I wouldn’t be surprised if I had a date set up with one of them in the next few days. This is only five women that I’ve contacted so far, just think, there’s still AT LEAST another 745 girls, if not millions, that I can possibly attract.

This is my first week venturing into MySpace dating so this story isn’t over yet. I plan on following up with a series of other blog posts to chronicle some of my interactions and dates that result from this whole online dating thing.

Yummy Stale Bread May 17, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I have been very hesitant to try the whole myspace and facebook pickup. I still feel that it is better to go out and interact with people in person than spend time in front of a computer trying to interact with people. I know you can do both, but the more time away from this stilly machine the better. And I guess I also have a bit of a judgmental attitude of any woman that would go out with a guy that found her on myspace. Perhaps it is unwarrented, but I have it nonetheless.

Single May 18, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Matt, You never cease to amaze me with your attempts to gather your information!!! You have this done almost to a science!

I look forward to seeing your stats on this!! BEWARE OF PEOPLE ON MYSPACE!!! I don’t even think about going there.. Due to I have not lost anything… But I am so excited to see what you are going to find out about them!!

Keep us updated!!!

Matt Savage May 19, 2008 at 9:32 am

YSB,
You make some good points and I have had a similar attitude on this in the past. I guess my big issue with it was that it wasn’t very productive. For instance, in past attempts at online pick-up, it seems like I’d spend a ton of time sending out messages to a ton of women with very little results. The problem was that it was difficult to quickly display high value in a single message. With this new MySpace system, all I need to do is simply get their attention so that they’ll check out my profile.

Once they look at the profile, most of the attraction work is already accomplished and you can theoretically move the interaction offline in a shorter amount of time. I like this, because it’s efficient, I can just use my lunch break and a little time before going to sleep to send messages back and forth. The rest of my time is spent in the real world, interacting with people and hopefully going on more date:)

Matt Savage May 19, 2008 at 9:40 am

Single,
Thanks for the warning, I’ll be careful:) It should certainly be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Avalon May 26, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Fascinating…oh to be single again…..
Or is it gosh, I’m glad I’m not single again?

Just don’t bug the hot chicks that obviously are using myspace for marketing purposes. It’s really annoying when I give one friendly response, and then the dudes keep asking me for free topless pictures…

Matt Savage May 27, 2008 at 10:18 am

Avalon,

Wait…so you’re saying that I shouldn’t ask girls for naked pictures of themselves on myspace!?! haha, j/k:)

It always amazes me at some of the stuff guys will send a girl online and expect it to work. I think a general rule of thumb is that if you wouldn’t say it in person then you shouldn’t say it online.

Hot Alpha Female May 31, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Hey Matty,
Hahhaa so you have discovered the power of Myspace huh? I will warn you that it is one of the most addictive sites in the world.

I am looking forward to how it all goes and whether you end up chatting to and meeting some decent chicks on there.

The only concern i have ever had about internet dating and stuff like that is meeting people who you would normally never meet in your real life.

Like it poses good and bad things. Because it could mean that you meet someone who is really good for you. But on the other hand someone who is a complete psycho and who you would have never of met … otherwise.

Neways all the best with it .. and you better be coming out with an update post!!!

Hot Alpha Female

Ryan October 29, 2008 at 7:20 pm

This guy’s pickup method the best for MySpace and Facebook. It’s called the Matchbook Method and it’s really solid.

Gone Savage May 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm

This is exactly a year old. I love to hear how things worked out.

A 3/5 initial response rate is really good!

What happened after that?

In a year, you could well have gotten married to a girl from my myspace!

Give us an update!

Alex June 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Most of the girls I met online were such a waste of time. I’d rather meet a girl in the office, or somewhere near my circle.

Pierre Kopper September 13, 2011 at 10:27 am

The popularity of on the internet dating must be possessing an have an impact on on the local bar scene.

Cherlyn Heinricher September 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Making a Great personal ad – Be honest – As I stated above what’s the point of misleading someone, it is going to only result in disappointment for each of you. If somebody says they’re looking for an athletic sort it can be unlikely they’ll change their mind on a very first date and they’re also not most likely to trust anything else about you.