Warning: Declaration of thesis_comment::start_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::start_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /home/thembot8/public_html/wp-content/themes/thesis_18/lib/classes/comments.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of thesis_comment::end_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::end_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /home/thembot8/public_html/wp-content/themes/thesis_18/lib/classes/comments.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of thesis_comment::start_el(&$output, $comment, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::start_el(&$output, $object, $depth = 0, $args = Array, $current_object_id = 0) in /home/thembot8/public_html/wp-content/themes/thesis_18/lib/classes/comments.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of thesis_comment::end_el(&$output, $comment, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::end_el(&$output, $object, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /home/thembot8/public_html/wp-content/themes/thesis_18/lib/classes/comments.php on line 0
How a Fortune Cookie Changed My Life

How a Fortune Cookie Changed My Life

Strewn about the coffee table are the remnants of Chinese food. I lean back on the couch with my stomach ready to burst.

“Ah, General Gao, you were a bloodthirsty foe, but your chicken is delectable!”

There is only one more thing needed to win this battle. I deploy a flanking maneuver and grab the golden crusted cookie. With zero resistance I am able to subdue the cookie and steal its secret message. It contains one of the most profound fortunes I’ve ever read.

“You cannot be anything if you want to be everything.”

I hold the message closer and read it several more times, trying to absorb the meaning. My thoughts begin to swirl into a storm of emotion and introspection. What does it all mean?

It’s about passion.

There has been a shift in the seduction community lately. Many well known pick-up artists are not only moving away from routine based game towards more natural game, but are now moving towards what I call “lifestyle game.” They are starting to adapt the thinking that what is really seductive about a man is the way he leads his life. It is essentially his lifestyle that attracts women and not all the different tactics and techniques that pick-up artists are known for.

So how do you lead a seductive lifestyle? Easy. You have to be passionate about something. You need to have a driving force in your life. A purpose for living.

A few movie quotes come to mind in this regard. One is from one of my favorite movies, Adaptation.

“There are too many ideas and too many people. And too many directions to go. I was starting to believe that the reason it matters to care passionately about something, is that it whittles the world down to a more manageable size.” – Susan Orlean

This is almost the same thing that the cookie told me! If you don’t have a focus, a passion, then you end up all over the place, never really accomplishing anything in life.

Remember the movie City Slickers? There is one scene where Curly tells Mitch that he knows the secret of life.

Curly: Do you know what the secret of life is?
[holds up one finger]
Curly: This.
Mitch: Your finger?
Curly: One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and the rest don’t mean shit.
Mitch: But, what is the “one thing?”
Curly: [smiles] That’s what *you* have to find out.

In the end of the movie we find out that the one thing, the secret of life, is different for everyone. That one thing is whatever you care most about in your life.

As for myself, there are so many things in my life that I enjoy doing and so many things that I want to accomplish. Surprisingly, this is a problem. There are too many directions I want to go and too many things I want to do that it is making it difficult for me to get anywhere at all. There is no focus. There is no real passion.

So what is my one thing? What is my passion? I have no idea. I know what I enjoy and I know what my interests are but I’m not too sure which of these I am truly passionate about. Even worse, what if my passion is something that I don’t even know about yet? Maybe my passion is to be a circus juggler or a rodeo cowboy, who knows, it could be anything!

Figuring out your passion in life is not something to take lightly. It’s not something you can just pick out of a hat or decide on a whim. This is going to have to take some serious thought and effort. If I figure it out I’ll let you know.

ITotem March 24, 2007 at 12:32 am

I love this post. You should always have something going in your life. Having a life is the highest form of attraction :)

Drew March 24, 2007 at 3:38 pm

Hey I’ve really been wondering about the same things, I feel like right now I’m going down a path that might just lead me to get trapped so I’m trying to figure out what the deal is,
finding your passions reminds me of an article on robert ringer’s site in his archive about “finding your hidden genious”, he say’s most people people won’t ever find it and the chances are stacked against you but the only thing thatll lead you to find what you need is a life of “Non-stop relentless action”

Red March 24, 2007 at 10:46 pm

great post

Michael March 25, 2007 at 5:06 am

Here via blogexplosion, and stopped way past the allotted 30 or so seconds. Enjoyed that post.

Shall peruse more, will blogmark you and add you to my site’s blogroll if I may.

Matt Savage March 26, 2007 at 1:53 pm

itotem,
Thanks. I think it’s not enough though to “have a life” but to have a life with a purpose that is most attractive.

Drew,
Interesting about Ringer’s “hidden genius” artice. I tried doing a search for it but couldn’t find it. You wouldn’t happen to have a link would you?

Red,
Thanks!

Michael,
Glad you enjoy the blog. You’re certainly welcome to add it to your blogroll.

-Matt

Mrs.ZigZagMan April 17, 2007 at 5:52 am

I am passionate about people. All kinds of people, in all kinds of situations. With that as my passion then I can supplement it with a wide variety of experiences and ideas, which makes me more passionate about people and them more passionate with me. Sometimes I have to leave it all behind but those moments of solace are often what recharge me. Also with my focus on people, it allows me to explore all the different facets of who I am. Because I am a Gem. Shining and bright on some sides, and others yet uncut and unpolished waitign for their particular chance to glow. Does that make sence?

nacy grefen September 6, 2007 at 7:29 am

Scot McKay October 3, 2007 at 1:18 pm

That’s the best I’ve ever gotten.

Although yours would have warranted a serious look given how crazy things have been around here lately.

lizardsmells November 3, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Personally, I hate these sorts of comments, but I’m going to leave one anyway.

Me too.

josh gilpatrick November 3, 2007 at 12:58 pm

Focused passion, while having it’s merits, does inversely narrow your experience. For the sake of accomplishment, it is a very effective tool, but, personally, I find my life eclectic and ever-excited by keeping my interests broad and dipping my fingers in as many pies as care to. I’m not striving for greatness at this point, and so this suits me fine.

Asunta March 1, 2008 at 8:40 pm

I am exactly what Matt said in his article. I really don’t know what my passion is. I spent years trying to know what my life’s purpose is. I single handedly raised my two boys until they both graduated their bachelors degree. I asked myself, what now?

One of my co-workers said that her passion is to marry a rich guy. I told her, good for you. I envy her because she has a passion! And she is doing things to attain her passion.

I don’t have any burning desire for a very specific thing. I am an accountant, a CNA, a jeweler, I sing and play the guitar and many other things but I just don’t have that PASSION in any of what I already knew. I am a “Jack of all trades, master of none”. Can anybody suggest what and how would one know his or her passion? I hope I’ll get an answer and apply it to my life before I get too old to apply it.

TC January 26, 2009 at 1:42 am

Great post man.

This is so true life has so many directions to go in and this is very confusing at times. We change our jobs often, career, courses we may have started and we do not finish. I found this in my early days of learning the ways of the true PUA’s and I had about 4 of my mates start the courses I was doing and none of them finished, i was the only one and I have not regretted it.
So we must start one thing at a time and finish it.

Take care man.

TC

Mihaela March 10, 2009 at 11:45 am

I use to be like you, wondering about my passion. But not all of us are like this. Maybe you are a scanner like me. Do you read “Refuse to choose” by Barbara Sher?

Gone Savage May 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I read 4 posts and I could already tell that you didn’t know your purpose in life.

It is not a dis, so don’t take it as such.

Zan mentioned that he met a woman who could read a man’s entire belief system on his face, the minute he approached.

I don’t have that level of intuition, but I’ve worked with community guys long enough that I can tell if they know their purpose the moment we meet or just by reading some of their writting.

It is a tough question. Who do you want to be? Remeber that a kite rises against the wind.

Life is pure opportunity.

Alex June 17, 2009 at 12:14 am

One recipe to getting the financial freedom is focus. There are a lot of opportunities out there, but you gotta have that focus/ direction. There comes passion of course. Great post by the way.

solomon July 16, 2009 at 9:52 am

A man may be so much of everything that he is nothing of anything.
-Samuel Johnson

surprisingly this worked for me
although I still don’t believe that we all necessarily have, or need, a “life’s purpose”. What would be our life’s purpose if we lived as hunter-gatherers 30,000 years ago spending our days hunting buffalo? Life is beautiful and meaningful as is; learn to appreciate it.

isabella April 29, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Read Abraham Maslow. Self Actualization. Be who you were meant to be and all that you are capable of being to be truly happy with your life.

Mononoke March 19, 2011 at 12:44 am

Good read!
I remember not having any direction when I was 18. I hated it.
But now I have my one thing, baking. I’m not completely there yet, but I know where it is.